Student insurance

IDA student insurance is one of the best and cheapest on the market in Denmark. Get a Free Home contents insurance while you study and keep it for a full year after you graduate. Yearly savings of around DKK 900

Get a free insurance quote

Student insurance

IDA student insurance is one of the best and cheapest on the market in Denmark. Get a Free Home contents insurance while you study and keep it for a full year after you graduate. Yearly savings of around DKK 900

Get a free insurance quote

Are you a STEM student?

Become a student member of IDA and boost your study life with a FREE Home contents insurance from IDA Insurance. The insurance is valid for as long as you study and one whole year after you graduate.

So why is it free? Because we at IDA know that it can be a challenging time financially to be a student. Not to speak of being an international student. We want to do our part to ensure that you get as good and safe time, so that you can lead a balanced student life. That is why we give all student members of IDA a unique offer – namely a free Home Contents insurance. You save over DKK 900 a year.

The student membership of IDA is free the first year and after that it only costs DKK 20 per month.

Check out if your programme is on the list on Can I become a member? and become a member today to benefit from discounts and services while studying.

New for graduates

– keep your free Home Contents insurance for 1 year after graduation


There are many things that change when you graduate, most of which are joyful like job proposals and finally having time off when you clock out. And some demand extra juggleling of finances and time. We recognise that this is a special time and don´t want to add to your to-do list. Therefore we have extended the period in which you get to keep your free Home Contents insurance for a full year after graduation as long as you take out your insurance while studying. So you can enjoy your time as a graduate and settle in your new life.

When the year is up, your insurance will transition to our Student Home Content Insurance at DKK 909.50 per. year, as long as you are not 30 years of age.

Questions about the free Home Contents insurance

You can get the free Home contents insurance as long as you are a student member of IDA. This applies to both completely new study members as well as students who have been members of IDA for a long time – both those who already have a Home contents insurance at IDA Forsikring and those who have not.
However, it requires that you are a student on an education that is eligible for admission to IDA.

Without a home contents insurance, you cannot get compensation if someone e.g. steals your bicycle. Did you also know that it includes personal liability coverage, among other things?

Home contents insurance covers damage to your belongings caused by fire, theft, a short-circuit or water damage. The insurance also includes liability coverage, which covers if you cause damage or injury to other people, their animals or things. For instance, if you accidentally step out in front of a cyclist, who then falls and damages their bike and clothes.

Your home contents insurance does not only cover you but up to three roommates in a shared house.

Yes, you can order the new free contents insurance as long as you are an active student. IDA Forsikring automatically closes your current contents insurance so that there is no overlap and you will receive excess premium returns.

The free Home content insurance is an ordinary contents insurance – just free. It means that you continue to get all the known, good coverages that we also have on our other insurances. As a student member, you only get the insurance for free. The insurance includes, among other things, bicycle cover, liability cover, electronics cover and cover for fire and storm damage. Just as you know it, from our other insurances.

You keep your free Home Content insurance for a whole year after graduation.

After this your insurance will be transferred to our Student Home content Insurance. It costs approx. DKK 909 per year as long as you are under 30 years old. When you turn 30, your insurance will be transferred to our insurance for graduates.

Yes, IDA Insurance can take care of that for you. As long as you provide us with the name of your current insurance company and your policy number when you register, we can make the transfer for you.

You can order the insurance  via IDA Insurance Student Insurance Calculator.

Reviews by students

As an actuary, I know that IDA has the cheapest insurance :-)

- Asbjørn, Actuarial Mathematics, University of Copenhagen

I've just bought car. When I was buying car insurance, I discovered that the number of years that I'd been a member of IDA counted as claim-free years. That saved me a couple of thousand DKK. Sweet!

- Mads, electrical engineer, Technical University of Denmark

My telephone was stolen at night, I reported it to IDA Forsikring the next day, and the money was deposited in my account on the same day. Quick and easy.

- Nichlas, Product and Design Psychology, Aalborg University

I've discovered that I can keep my student insurance until I'm 30 years old, even if I graduate before. This saves me a lot of money.

- Emil, food science student, University of Copenhagen

Find answers to all your questions here

Insurance is an agreement in which IDA commits to provide compensation if anything goes wrong. In return, you pay a premium every year.

The insurance policy can cover all kinds of things. Our home contents insurance covers belongings in your home if they break or if there is a burglary. The insurance also covers accidental damage to other people’s belongings, or if your belongings break outside your home.

Travel insurance covers your costs if you get sick while on holiday and you need to be transported back to Denmark, or if you have to be hospitalised at the destination. The insurance also covers you if your holiday is cancelled, and there is an option to cover situations in which you yourself have to cancel your holiday.

Accident insurance insures you against accidents. If you fall and damage your teeth, or your knee is injured during exercise. You can choose the possible level of compensation in the event of an accident, and how “slight” the injury is to be before you have insurance cover.

Find our full range of insurance here.

Find out how much insurance costs by trying our simple insurance calculator.

The price of your insurance depends on several factors. If you have a low excess of DKK 500, for example, which means that you pay the first DKK 500 for a claim before IDA pays the remaining part, the insurance is slightly more expensive than if you choose an excess of DKK 2,000, for example.

The insurance price also depends on the maximum amount you can claim, and whether you want the insurance to cover special circumstances not included in the standard insurance policy.

If you accidentally spill your coffee on your friend’s computer, IDA’s home contents insurance will cover the damage, because it includes third party liability insurance.

Read more about when the third party liability insurance cover applies in IDA’s terms and conditions for family insurance (in Danish), or ask our advisors if you are in doubt.

If you are in doubt as to whether you already have insurance, log on to IDA Insurance My page to see whether you are already insured with IDA. Please note, that it will not be possible to see whether you have insurance elsewhere.

We know that money is tight when you are a student, and that there are many other things to spend money on. Therefore, IDA offers Denmark’s cheapest student insurance to our student members.

If your bike gets stolen, several factors determine how much you will receive from your insurance.

First, you must pay the excess that you have chosen.

IDA Forsikring calculates the value of your stolen bike on the basis of the price you paid for it when it was new, and then deducts a percentage write-down for each year.

If you have bought an expensive racing bike or mountain bike, you need to take out additional insurance cover, as there is a maximum on how much your home contents insurance can cover for a bike.

If, as an IDA member, you take out home contents insurance, the insurance will cover both you and your partner.

However, many students share a house/flat, and if you live together with other people, the home contents insurance will cover you and up to two other people in your household.